The Cairns region is definitely in the “pink” and gay and lesbian visitors are welcomed with mostly open arms.
Tourist centres like Cairns city, the Northern Beaches, Port Douglas, the Atherton Tableland and even the Daintree offer a number of resorts exclusively for the gay and lesbian community There are also dedicated gay & lesbian tour companies in the Cairns region.
The major centre in Tropical North Queensland is Cairns, a popular gateway to the Great Barrier Reef and the vast wilderness of Cape York Peninsula. The city is fringed by lush rainforests and along the coast are miles of white sandy beaches and turquoise oceans teeming with marine life.
Port Douglas, north of Cairns, is the second major centre. It is the gateway to the Daintree National Park and is also the departure point for dive trips divers to the Great Barrier Reef and Green Island.
Read the stories:
Rainbow Tourism Accredited Accommodation:
Bars, Clubs, Restaurants,Venues, Events:
- Bears on the Beach at Turtle Cove Resort – 18 to 22 June 2012
- Cairns Tropical Pride – 18 August to 2 September 2012
- Mardi Gras Recovery Week at Turtle Cove – March 2013
- Gay and lesbian venues, bars, clubs and restaurants
Tours and sightseeing:
- Cairns sightseeing and activities
- Port Douglas sightseeing and activities
- Palm Cove sightseeing and activities